Thursday 25 August 2011

Memories from Talei's brother, Felix Colatanavanua

1985 – I remember our mom coming to me and asked me to sit-down.  We went outside to the back porch and talked.  “Felix, we are expecting an addition to the family.  You will have a baby sister soon” 

I was excited and asked many questions.  As Talei grew in our mother belly, I remember singing to her and letting her know that I will be a good big brother.  On November 29th 1985, Dad came home to tell me that Talei was born.  When I met her for the first time, it was amazing.  I gave her a kiss and promised myself that I will be the best big brother in the whole world.

Years passed and Talei grew up strong and smart.  She coped everything I did, I learnt to play the Piano, she learnt to the play the Piano.  I got a new video game, she learnt it too.  No matter what I wanted to learn she wanted to learn it too, and funny thing is she was always better than me.  At first i didn’t like it, but in the end I accepted it and told her to learn all the good things that I can teach and to learn from my mistakes (I make many).

Talei was the kindest sweetest person I know.  I looked up at her for this.  She would forgive very easily and she would always have the right words to say.  She has lived around the world, a true child of the World.  I know she touched many people around the world and from what I have read since her passing, proves it. 

I am grateful that I spent last Christmas with you, and that you got to meet D’tui and Julia.  I am grateful that you meet little Ruby and you represented us at Len and Georgia’s Wedding.  Talei taught me to forgive and love.  She taught me that life is Talei – For those who don’t know, Talei means in Fijian – Precious. 

Talei, you have left a pain that will never heal, but the memories of your life and how you touched mine will keep me strong.  Say Hello and give a Big hug and Kiss to my son David.  I know that you two will have a great time together till the time comes that I am to journey across to join you two.

Love always

Your Big Brother

Felix

1 comment:

  1. Yes Felix, I have been thinking too that life is Talei, its so true.

    Superb blog, great to read such delightful stories about our precious Talei.

    I don't like to make promises, but I will try and dig out the old photos I have of her when we were out in the back garden of Henry St, the house where her Dad grew up; we were doing some gardening.

    We were busy planting flowers and she must have been about eight and she tended to the flowers so beautifully, calling them little fellows; " and this little fellow needs some water ... and this one here" etc as she saw to watering and planting them herself.

    Oh she was so adorable, and I know she is in a good place now. RIP Talei, its hard without you :'(

    ReplyDelete